7/30/2007

Sympathy

As some of you know, I am one of those rare freaks that can't eat certain raw foods. Most of them, actually, except for some berries and a few kinds of lettuce. I have discovered that Romaine lettuce, no matter how delicious it is, can make my mouth swell up a little at first and then my throat is sore for two days afterward. I love romaine lettuce. I love raw stuff. I remember my older brother used to make hamburgers at home as a kid and he would take wads of it while it was raw and stuff it in his mouth. He thoroughly enjoyed it. That certainly nowadays would send me off into itchiness, pain, swelling, and utter misery. Not to mention e coli.

Dear Sir has always felt bad for me about it. He does not know exactly which fruits or veggies give me the worst reactions, but he still feels bad with minimal knowledge. For about five years now he has been unable to eat some of the fruits that I react worst to. He swore one time after eating a banana that he almost had to pull over (he was eating in the car) because he thought he was going to die. He gets heartburn or some sort of bad reaction in his chest. He has sworn off bananas now and will not eat them. He can not eat carrots either. It does the same thing.

Dear Sir just finished eating some watermelon I gave him for dinner (he has not had it in years because I never buy it but let the kids convince me to) and he is sitting down now playing that blasted Game Cube and here he is yelling at me, "Rach, I'm having a reaction! Do you have any medicine for me? I feel AWFUL!"

Bananas, carrots and melons are about the worst things I could ever put in my mouth. Ever. Is it possible that the man, feeling so terribly for me, has sort of sympathy "pains" like you hear about when a woman is pregnant? You know, she throws up, he throws up. She has headaches, he has headaches, etc.

He tells me that I have infected him somehow. I want to pretend he loves me that much. To me, it is incredible and a bit weird too. But he must, he really must. Hmmm, I think I will go kiss him...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir's brother does not have the food allergy problem. Of course, it would be hard to tell because there are so many vegetables that he has never tasted!

Dapoppins said...

I am laughing...do you hear. I don't know why, but that sounds like something a man would do..

Mama Bear said...

Hug him if you must, but don't kiss him... You'll have a reaction then! I'm too late with the warning, right?

When I was pregnant, Papa felt nothing. If he had, he would have thrown himself off a cliff. ;o)

Lyssa said...

Aw, sympathy pains from your husband...?! I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't eat fruits and veggies; it wouldn't work to be vegetarian!

jmw said...

Shealy---Yeah, I know, there is no excuse for this fear of food.

Dapoppins---I didn't know I wasn't alone!!LOL!!

Mama--Too late!! HA ha...

I had a good laugh over Papa throwing himself off a cliff....I think most men would. They have no idea about the misery of bearing children. LOL!

Lyssa--Yeah, it wouldn't work for me, that's for sure! But I am enjoying some of the raw stuff I can eat from time to time, so God has blessed me.