10/12/2006

Telemarketers

Me answering the phone one day:

"Hello?"

"Yes, Mrs. Johnston?" She had a thick, Asian accent.

"No, I am not Mrs. Johnston. I am the lucky recipient of Mrs. Johnston's OLD number."

"Oh, sorry, that's ok though. Am I speaking to the lady of the house?"

"Yes, but--" I began

"I wanted to tell you about protection for your home and you---"

"I am not interested," I said. I usually hang up on these people but I thought I would let her know a few things. "I am also on the 'no call' list," I finished.

She kept talking. And talking. And talking faster. I had no idea what she was saying, her accent was so thick and she was just running all she had to say together.

"I--AM---ON---THE---NO---CALL---LIST!!!!!!"

She kept going. Yap, yap, yap.

"Excuse me. Excuse me. EXCUSE ME!" I shouted.

Silence and then, "Yes, ma'am?"

"I have a question for you," I began.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Are you human?"

"Wha? Huh? What do you mean?"

"Are you a human being?" I asked her.

"Uh," she giggles, "Yes, of course."

"Good, because I can trust you understand me when I tell you that I am on the no call list and you are calling my home illegally."

"I am sorry to hear that," she said and then CLICK.

No comments: