10/25/2006

The Kids These Days 3

Every band rehearsal night I have to travel over an hour with uncomfortable children to the northern part of my state. I take them so that I can switch cars with Dear Sir and then go to rehearsal, not too far from his work. I can't wait until Dear Sir gets home or I would be late to rehearsal, since it takes him an hour and a half with traffic (this traffic is worse than Cali, I am pretty sure) to get home. So, I meet him up there at his work. I go to him. I have the kids bring books and stuff and we are on our way.

I brought my ipod this time so I could listen to some music (mainly songs I need to practice for the concert). I also had to think of what to do with two hours before rehearsal. I usually go shop, and that is what I did. I went to the dollar store to get some Halloween buckets, and then I high tailed it to Target for a particular item I needed. When I got in the car, I decided that I wanted to listen to my ipod (in particular this band called The Colour---they are AWESOME) so at a five minute red light I decided to fiddle with the thing and put the songs on. My ipod is so sensitive (it is one of those nano things) that I always press the wrong band or entry or setting or something so I end up taking forever to get what I want. When I was looking down though, I noticed some movement in the car next to me. It just caught the corner of my eye. I looked over and there was this guy---I mean, this kid---he was probably seventeen or something, no kidding---trying to get my attention. I looked at him and he looked straight at me, put his hand up in a gesture as if to say, "I am cool in my Papa John's delivery car and I think you are cute," and so I rolled my eyes at him, shook my head and looked back down at my stinking ipod. This is what I ALMOST did:

I almost rolled my window down to prompt him to hear me out and tell him that I am almost thirty years old and he pretty much just learned to drive. I almost screamed at him, "I AM THIRTY!" But I didn't.

Maybe I live in a deep dark cave of naive-ITY, but, I never realized that men turn their heads so much at women who put a little make-up on. I don't get out much, I guess. Good grief.

4 comments:

Funky-Redhead said...

I was telling Dadman about your entry...The male perspective was; that did not surprise him one bit.(Do tell!) He apparently always thought as a teenager that more "mature," women very attractive! Apparently, you are in your PRIME, baby! Enjoy!

R said...

I really am so naive. I drink Evian, what can I say?

Susie, I don't think I can join the hottie bloggers. I am not comfortable proclaiming any hotness. But you guys have at it! :) I guess I would rather roll my eyes at stupid teenagers in Papa John's delivery cars. They just have NO IDEA.

You guys are nice.

Anne said...

Clean hair, lipstick and sunglasses do wonders for my "car appearance."

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Men are incredibly easy, honey. Looking at women (no offense at all intended) is like looking at hot cars. They pretty much all have the same features, but we just can't turn our eyes away when one rolls down the street!

Ah well. Biological, you know.