5/11/2006

Your Favorite Books, Please! Keep Them Coming..

I am really enjoying the book recommendations. I can not wait to get to reading. I need to cut back on running anyway. I am literally getting way too much exercise. Dear Sir keeps saying, "You're going to go running AGAIN!?" I think he is sick of it. He keeps saying that I will end up with a muscular face like Madonna. I really, really don't want that. That is my fear.

I thought that I would post a few of my favorites here:

1. Anything by Thomas Hardy. Namely, The Return of the Native. I highly recommend A Group of Noble Dames if you want a sort of semi-tragic but also kick in the pants comedic read. I loved every page of it.

2. Anything by Wilkie Collins. Namely, The Woman in White and Armadale. I still have yet to read The Moonstone (one of his most famous) because I saw a Wishbone (a pbs kids show with a stupid white dog) that totally gave the whole plot away. I had no idea at the time and now when I think of The Moonstone I think Wishbone. What folly. Collins was one of the very first sensationalists--and if you like mystery it is all there.

3. Till We Have Faces by Lewis

4. Wives and Daughters by Gaskell (this book is so awesome)

5. The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas

6. Our Mutual Friend by Dickens (the Masterpiece Theatre movie on this is superb!)

7. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

8. War and Peace by Tolstoy (I know the size is a little scary, but it is really a good book)

9. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (I just love monks)

10. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I will finish this later!

No comments: