5/14/2006

Another List of Books

I remembered a few books that I love.

1. The Idiot by Dostoyevsky (This book is rich with symbolism--think Holy Saturday--and worth your read if you like figuring things out)

2. The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery (a good friend recommended this book and I really enjoyed it.)

3. Peace Like a River by Leif Engler (if I have to go modern on you---this is so great, I was literally breathless at the last page. I think that is a good description because the book is about an asthmatic boy.)

4. The Samauri's Garden by Gail Tsukyama (I can't really remember how to spell the author's last name and I am not looking it up. It is a great book--a young man is sick and goes to the beach house to get well and gets involved with the life of the house sitter. This book is very poetic.)

5. Anything by Dostoyevsky (mainly The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment)

6. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (I know, Rhett. I just loved this book. It made me love the South.)

7. The Good Earth by Pearl Buck (Pavillion of Women is good too)

8. Life of Pi by Yann Martel (I figured this whole thing out. It makes you feel sick at the end but I have your remedy. Just talk to me when you finish it and you will be right as rain.)

9. Lilith by George Mac Donald (I again, have my own thoughts on this book---I should read it again to refresh my memory. I remember thinking it was great and then my bookclubbers hated it because I fear they thought it made no sense.)

10. Dracula by Bram Stoker (I loved The Historian, too by Elizabeth Kostova)

11. A Daughter of the Land by Gene Stratton-Porter

12. Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset

13. The Lord of the Rings by Tolkein

14. Villette by Charlotte Bronte

15. East of Eden by Steinbeck (I also loved Cannery Row---it was hilarious)

16. Les Miserables by Hugo

17. Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson (This book is more adult than youth)

18. I love Francine Rivers. Don't judge me. She is a really good writer (in a romance novelist way---she used to be one, actually) and she writes Christian fiction. She is actually the very first Christian writer that I have found worthwhile and is she ever. You have to read her Mark of the Lion trilogy about Rome. It is amazing. She did a lot of research and her story is really incredible. I was pretty much glued to the couch for days. I would say the first two are the best---the third is a stretch.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I have to ask, did you come up with this list from your head? Or do you write down what you read? I would be very hard-pressed to sit down and come up with a list of books I've known & loved just out of my head. I guess it's the same reason I can't remember anything about any movie I've seen just whether or not I liked it. Too much of a Meyers-Briggs "S" for my own good.

So on Francine Rivers -- no apologies needed. I LOVED that trilogy also. And I agree, the first two are best, I also had a hard time finishing the last.

My mom is an avid Gene Straton-Porter fan and collector, so I've read all her books.

I went through a big Gothic novel phase in high school. Is it Norah Lofts that writes those? That name is coming to mind...

'nuff for now. Your list is very cool, IMHO. I'm even more impressed with you now.

BWG

Emily

R said...

Emily,

I do have a book listing the books I have read for the past five years. I have read tons before then, so have no record of them. Sometimes I even forget to write down books when I have a little notebook to write them in! I was in Barnes and Noble the other day thinking of books and I remembered some of these. Then I looked through my book and wrote a few of them down. It is hard to come up with good books straight from the head. I remember in my old bookclub the ladies would laugh at me because I could remember 18 books or more (sometimes in a row) of what we have read off the top of my head. It changed though as the list got larger. I ended up writing it all down and sending it out to them so they could keep track.

I did not know that Mrs. Tyson loved Gene. Interesting. Next time I talk to her I will have to bring that up. I have read only a few of her books (Girl of the Limberlost, DotL, The Harvester, and maybe something else).

I went through a big gothic novel phase as well. I do not remember Norah Lofts at all. I will have to look that up. The very first gothic novel I ever read was Storm's End by Rebecca James. It was just lying around the house so I picked it up. I can't remember but I have read this really good book by I think, Mary Stewart, called the Ivy Tree. I have read many others by other novelists but it was pretty much all 70's fluff to be consumed when going to the pool or laying out. I pretty much went through the gothic phase in one summer.

At the moment I am reading The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins. It is amazing right away. I can't wait to finish it. I started Brideshead Revisited and gave it fifty pages. I could not get into it. I just was not impressed. I hated Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise and Brideshead reminded me of it too much. I am sure it gets better, but as Dear Sir would say, "you only have one life, don't waste it on books you don't want to read!" How life changing. So I picked up Collins and now I am the better for it. Sorry Miriam!

I have read almost everything by Francine, to be honest. You should, if you haven't.

Anonymous said...

Freckles is the other G S-P book you might have read.

There is *one* Francine I didn't read, or started and couldn't finish, I can't remember. Everything else I've loved. I think it was the one with Garden in the name??

The kids keep lists of every book they read. I don't. I should start -- I keep thinking it's not worth it cause there's so much water under the bridge but that's kinda stupid now that I write it out loud. OK, I'm doing it. Starting today!

My B&N has these cuter than cute little reading list books but I think maybe just a plain ole spiral notebook would suffice.

Back to Gene S-P Laura will probably remember all the antique shops (we called them AN TI CUE, we thought we were so cute) we had to stop in each time we went to Maine & back in the summer... my mom searching them for another title she didn't have or a duplicate of one she already had so that she could pass it down. I think I have ALL of her books due to that careful shoppping!

OK bye for now. Gotta work on dinner, it being that time on this side of the pond.

Emily