Somehow last week I got a staph infection. What fun. Joy of joys. 

Don't ask me how, good grief, I don't know how. All I know is that it appeared like I had a bug bite on my ankle, right next to my little patch of perpetual athlete's foot. Yes, I always have a small patch of athlete's foot. I run and sweat too much. 

So---my nurse/neighbor/friend stopped by for a little visit outside one of those days last week right after I decided to squeeze that "bug bite" to get all that poison out that was causing so much pain and stiffness underneath it. I about screamed as I did this. I poured alcohol on it and bandaged it up. My friend took a look at it. Well, my whole ankle and foot was turning beet red and blanching when touched. "Uh, I would stick that foot in a bucket of hot salt water, as hot as you can stand it," she said with a twinge of fear in her face. 

"I'd watch it with all that staph going around."

Oh great, I thought. Just great.  

She left and I called the kids in to finish up school. I sat at the table, scalding hot bucket of water at my feet, ready to put the wounded ankle in. The water was hot. She said to soak the foot for, gee whiz, I don't know, ten-fifteen minutes? I put my foot in. I almost screamed. I kept it in there though because by golly, I think I could withstand this hot of water. Yes, I can stand it. I'll live. I put my head on the school table and beat down with my fists. 

"It hurts Mom," the Girl said.
"She's in pain," Eraser Eater said.

I could hear pencils moving when I ceased pounding. The clock could not tick fast enough. 

"How long do you have to do that?" Eraser Eater asked.

"I think ten minutes, but I'm going to do fifteen!" I almost yelled. I felt like a burn victim. I could see my foot in the bucket, beet red. 

"Your foot is red."

"Yeah, I know, I know."

Eventually I did go to the doctor that day because my calf started tingling, and when that madness starts happening, I don't mess with my legs. They have to run the next morning!

So---for a good few hours I was cherry red from the ankle down. 

The doctor: "I don't know if this culture is going to come back positive or not because you did some great homeopathic care!" 


J said...

Well, now I know how to treat staph infection. I always wondered.....

How far are ya running nowadays?

Reading anything interesting?

I love keeping up on your life. :o) It's quite funny.

And that's a compliment.

R said...

J---Thought you were Jade for a second there!

I run between 30-40 miles a week.Usually closer to thirty as I don't have enough time as school is in full swing.

I have been reading Lord of the Rings and books akin to it because I am teaching a class on it this year at Co-op. I am also reading No Man Knows My History by Fawn Brodie (about Joseph Smith). I have been reading next to nothing though lately because I have been working on music so much. But the computer crashed and I worked on it all for nothing. Well, sort of.

Thanks for thinking my life is funny. I think so too at times, but sometimes it is boring so I have to make the boring segments a bit funny on the blog for effect.

Love the tutus on the head. Very unique! BTW---I had hot chocolate today (made with soymilk) minus the sweet potatoes.


August said...

wow, sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon. Did you get MRSD or whatever the initials are?

30 to 40 miles? That's inspirational! Keep up the good work! Shoot me an email when you get a chance. I have lots to tell you.


DFTF said...

Ouch. My parents had MRSA over at their place a few weeks ago. I stayed AWAY. I never thought of the hot salt water, though. Cool.