8/13/2006

Religious

I just have to say that I HATE it when people call me "religious." They are usually people that are familiar with Christianity and maybe even go to church (of some kind) but have no idea. I heard someone say recently that at a particular church the kids stay with the adults for about ten minutes and then they go downstairs to partake in various "religious activities." I about threw up. I hate hearing, "yes, she's a religious type of person," or "they are really religious so they like angels and stuff."

Gag me.

My neighbor (bless her heart) thought I was "so religious" I must be a Mormon. I showed her some pictures on my pc of my family and there were some photographs of icons (Orthodox and Byzantine ones) and she wanted to see them because she thought that they were angels. I had to explain to her that they were saints.

2 comments:

Todd said...

You could take it as a compliment when people call you "religious." :)

But I know what you mean.

James 1:27
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

R said...

It is that they make it sound like a bad thing or something general---like I am obsessed with being religious but not really with being a Christian. It would not offend me if it were someone saying, "She is a real Christian." I just think it shows a large amount of ignorance (I hope I am not sounding haughty in saying this). It is like calling an Asian person Oriental. Asian ITEMS are Oriental, not Asians themselves.

But maybe that is not a good enough example.