12/30/2007

Le Football American

If Dear Sir would just be convinced that football makes no sense, we wouldn't spend so much unneeded time apart. I tried last year to watch college, which doesn't seem as fake as the NFL, but then I tried watching a little bit this year and was sourly disappointed with Notre Dame. Dear Sir could not bear to watch the games so he watched the Redskins, who he hates. Hey, I hate them. I just hate football. He watches the Redskins so that he can watch them lose. It doesn't matter who they play, he roots for the opposing team instead. There was a guy at his old workplace that was such a huge Skins fan that he would buy the whole office donuts the morning after they won. Dear Sir loved the donuts but always hoped that the donuts would not come the next morning because he was sick of the guy rubbing the Skin's victories in his face.

I have a good friend who is a big Steelers fan, and one day I decided to call her while the men in my home were watching the Steelers game. She wouldn't pick up her phone. I imagined she was at the store or something, who knows. Dear Sir scoffed at me when he heard I tried to call her. "You think she is going to pick up when the Steelers are playing? What are you thinking calling her during the game?"

I didn't think about that. It was hard for me to imagine a girl watching a football game period. In fact, it sort of bothers me but I won't tell my friend that. No, it doesn't really BOTHER me, it just seems like Invasion of the Body Snatchers or something.

The next day my friend called me back. "Sorry I called during the game," I said.
She laughed at me, "Yeah, I NEVER pick up during a game, are you crazy? I don't think I can be friends with you anymore!" She laughed a good bit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate football too. Shhhhhh...don't tell anyone or I am in big trouble.

Anonymous said...

Pro ball doesn't do a thing for me.

UK games on the other hand...

Basketball at noon today.

Football at 4.

The answering machine is on. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Shealy hates football?! And she made me wear that face paint at the Fiesta Bowl!? She is SO dead.

Personally, I like rugby. I don't know the rules, but I'm not sure if there are rules. It's awesome.

R said...

Shealy---Guess you're dead.

Lisa---UK anything is great.

Alisa---I feel bad for you...all that face paint. But you looked cute!

Anonymous said...

I actually only like high school football. I went to every game when my kids were there, and they were only in the band! No, I actually truly enjoy football, but I never, ever watch it. Who has time??

Leslee said...

IM with jrh, high school football is all I like.

Happy New Year my friend!

Anonymous said...

I have really cute photos of Alisa at the Fiesta Bowl.